Bake your way to mum's heart this Mother's Day with a sweet and spongy cake.
This delicious loaf cake recipe is a classic combination of spring flavours, topped with a lemon curd icing. Afterall, there's no better way to get into mum's good books than with something sweet and homemade with love.
For the loaf:
- 175g Softened Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 100ml Milk
For the lemon drizzle:
- 4 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
- 4 tbsp Caster Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
For the filling:
- Lemon Curd
For the icing:
- 55g Icing Sugar
- Elderflower Cordial and Lemon Juice (just enough to mix with the icing sugar)
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with a strip of baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixer, add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven for 50 mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Make the drizzle by placing the sugar, cordial and lemon juice in a pan and melt over a low heat until dissolved into a syrup.
- Remove cake from the oven and prick all over with the skewer, whilst still warm drizzle over the syrup and leave to cool in the tin.
- Once cool remove from the tin and slice the loaf in half, spread one side with the lemon curd and replace the top.
- Decorate by mixing the icing sugar with a small amount of cordial and lemon juice until smooth and has a spreading consistency. Finish with a little lemon zest.
Slice and eat!
Recipe shared belongs to Carr’s Flour, you can find out more information on their website. The full range is available to order from their online shop.